Sun-drying Fruit and Vegetables


Greetings sisters saints who love the Lord! 


In this post I am sharing what I do. I understand there's all kinds of different ways to do the same things and much information online that we don't want to get swept away in, though it can be very useful for our duties too. We love keeping things simple don't we though sisters so we can just do what we need to and have extra time to be in the Word and doing ministry etc. But we all have different callings and some may be more involved with labouring to store up whatever the Lord provides! It's all good works! And your ministry may well be providing food for others! 


I have not done a great deal of drying. I have done apples, pears, tomatoes and a few other things. If you live in a humid place this method of drying may not work. But it works well in hot dry climates like I am in. 


Whatever you dry should be cut a consistent width. These are about 4mm thick...if I can guess correctly. 

I cut the pears horizontally but you can cut them however you like. You might need to cut out the seeds and core in some pieces. 


Roma type tomatoes are best for drying. 

If you have a lot of warm weather ahead you can cut them in half vertically if you like. They will take like around a week or longer to dry if so. It is something you can experiment with to see what works best for you. 


You can pack them in quite closely as they will shrivel up to way less as they dry. 


This is what they looked like after a few days... 



Just about done I think. But another day in the sun perhaps just to be sure! 

As to what you use to dry them in? You can buy a hanging mesh dryer which are not very expensive... 

I think that one was around $18. You can get smaller and bigger ones. 


I have heard you can make your own with a tray and lay insect mesh on top too. 

Whatever you use you will want to bring the fruit or vegetables in at night to prevent the night dew getting on them. Then you can put them out in the morning once the dampness has been burned off by the sun. 

Dry them until there is no more moisture in them, though that can be hard to tell! If in doubt...just leave them a little longer. Store in airtight containers in cool places. Or you can freeze the tomatoes especially if you think they may not be dry enough. Well that's what I'm doing this year as they went mouldy last year (but I think that was because I stored them in the fridge and the container had a crack in it.). 


I think it's awesome all the different ways we may have to preserve food longer! 


And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
1 Timothy 6:8



Love in Christ, 

Sister Chayil 


Find the gospel to eternal life explained here

My biblical clothing shop here