Self Control and Overcoming the Flesh

Greetings sisters, 

I hope and pray all reading this are being obedient to the Lord's commands in all things. I know there's a difference between wanting to do something and then actually doing it. Are you overcoming or constantly living in a state of "knowing you should do something but never doing it"? It's procrastination and if it's about a sin and if not repented of you may find yourself getting to the last day of your life still thinking you ought to obey...but not now, it's so hard. 

In willful sin...

"It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."
Hebrews 10:31

Of course I have to examine my own self as always. I find if I fail and repent and learn from it I find myself longing for a situation to prove my repentance and do better for my Lord. We know He is faithful and just to forgive if we confess our sin. What a merciful God He is. Certainly some things are harder than others. And we all are different and have strengths and weaknesses. But yet still there is no new thing under the sun. 

But onto my subject... 

Today I wanted to write a little on an area of obedience to God's Word that a godly woman is to have. The reason I am thinking about this was because of something I saw out in the world today and it got me thinking. 

I had to go on a quick trip to a nearby town and I was walking down the street to the mailbox to mail something and I heard an angry voice in the park across the street. I looked and saw a woman spewing pure anger in to the face of a another woman. Now I'm sure this is common and it's not uncommon to hear a mother yelling at her unruly children while shopping or many different situations, but it was an example of how God's daughters are not to be. And no I don't hear it often...so it stood out. Oh it was horrible, I wouldn't have been surprised if she started beating the other woman up. It's the sad state of fallen woman. But God gives all His true daughters power to overcome any sin. We see much in scripture, in particularly Proverbs, about bad women.

Here the writer is showing us how terrible this sin is in a woman.  

"It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman in a wide house. 

It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and an angry woman."
Proverbs 21:9,19

None of us want to be that do we? What a poor witness for the Lord. I pray none of us have that problem with people wanting to get away from us! Well some people might want to get away from us and God's preachers of righteousness if they want to hide in the dark and sin but other than for the truth and not for our sins may we bear witness of God's pure and holy ways...and instead people would see love. It also could be closely linked to feminism or a part of it where the woman is ruling over and using her anger and bad temper to manipulate others to do her will. 

There are specific areas God has commandments just for woman. Then general commands for all. There are a few words here that would help to describe what kind of character we ought to have. 

"In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

1 Timothy 2:9

And you can see the meanings here.... 


"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,"

Titus 2:4

If any woman allows anger to overtake her she is not in a sound mind...nor is she being shamefaced in fact. 

We see a glimpse into the Proverbs 31 woman who is praised as an example. We see her doing good to her husband and also speaking wisely and kindly. 

"She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life. 

She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."
Proverbs 31:12,26

"Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:"

Ephesians 4:31


We know that 1 Peter 3 says for women to have a meek and quiet spirit. That would be a big reason to help all women overcome any anger. That woman in the park I heard did not have a meek and quiet spirit. I could hear her voice for a long way. And I am very sure that there are a lot of feminist women ruling their homes in anger...and forcing the men into silence. 

I would say it is rooted in selfishness which is not the life we want to have where we serve others and kill our own flesh. Bear with me as I understand I am young and having lived a quiet and sheltered life I may not be very experienced in life nor explain things well. But anyway...I'm sure there are no set rules for blogging...as long as it is good and godly. If you don't like my blog and how I write you don't have to stay:-) I'm blessed if anyone is blessed by it and I strive on for the glory of the Lord and His witness and for the love and edification of any ladies who might read. 

For myself, being a rather quiet and shy person I have not had a problem with anger but still I have had to battle things that could lead to that like getting frustrated and impatient inside when things don't work out like you want. I think I have overcome that and have other things to battle with now. In Christ though, I am not focused on this earthly life so most things don't bother me any more. Instead I must let the peace and joy of the Lord fill my life. I would say I am a rather serious and soberminded person but that doesn't mean that peace and joy are not far underneath the surface. No I'm not grumpy and every day is a good day if you ask me as I have all that matters which is Christ and the promise of eternal life if I endure. Oh theres's so much to think about and ponder in this life of a godly woman, and that can make us deep in thought at times but may we be living blameless to those around us, growing and maturing as we grow older in our walks with the Lord. It's all about walking in the flesh or the spirit. If we are the Lord's with His Holy Spirit with us we must not allow our flesh to be the master not in anger nor in any other sins like selfishness or self pity etc. 

Well maybe that's been a bit edifying. It is a blessing to know how God gives all His daughters power and a desire to overcome all sins. It is a powerful thing and so against the natural flesh to allow others to mock and falsely accuse and all without any sin of the flesh overcoming and consuming us. Self control and soberness are to be in our lives. There are so many more things also like being "grave" and "discreet" and "chaste" and more. God is so good. We certainly didn't deserve to live because of our sin but I'm thankful that He has given us all things that we need to live a godly life and making a way to the Father through His Son.  

If we truly are God's daughters we are all battling what we need to overcome in ourselves. I'm sure you all have that desire to be free of all these things but we don't give up and must not let them win and have the victory over us. I'll keep fighting what I need to...and I pray you all do too with whatever is not in line with the life of godliness and holiness. And the more we mature we go deeper and deeper and also see just how far from God's holiness we are.  One day we shall rest from it all but until then fight on. 

"Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 

To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen."

Jude 1:24-25

Love in Christ,

...from a daughter of God

See the gospel to eternal life here